Thursday, July 24, 2008

CHASE HARRISON/DMITRY YAKOLEV BURIED--EAC PROFITS

Services for Chase Harrison/Dmitry Yakolev were held last Wednesday (July 16) at St. Francis de Sales Catholic Church in Purcellville. The Tuesday edition of Leesburg Today published a full account, "Purcellville Toddler Remembered."

Miles Harrison remained hospitalized, but a letter from him to Chase was read at the service:

“I want you to know how much I love you and how much I will always love you,” Miles Harrison wrote, saying Chase would “always be our perfect gift.”

He wrote of how he and Chase would sing together and how he would put Chase on his shoulders and march along to the Ohio State marching band...

Chase was buried in Ebenezer Cemetery in Round Hill.

So far, so good. I really don't have much more to say about this incredibly sad event...

Except...

Memorial donations may be sent to Project Sunshine, c/o European Adoption Consultants Inc., 12608 Alameda Drive, Strongsville, OH 44149.

Excuse me while I get sick.

There now, I'm back

Just when I thought the adoption industry couldn't get any lower...

Chase/Dima is the second EAC Russian child to die at the hands of Forever Families. In November 1998, Logan Higginbotham died of massive head injuries. Her adoptive mother Laura claimed the toddler accidentally hit her head on the floor of an upstairs bedroom, but three years later medical experts concluded that her head had been intentionally slammed into a wall. Laura Higginbothman spent one year (yes, one year!) in prison. I wonder if EAC made money off her her death, too.

I want to make it clear that I do not put this case in the same category of those children who have been murdered, and even tortured, by their adopters. But I simply cannot get over the the cheek, the audacity--I don't know what to call it--of shilling on the grave of this child. Perhaps some readers can come up with better words than I can.

Obviously, the Harrisons made this decision, but who whispered in their ear?

Has EAC no shame?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So far I've not seen anything to say that the adoption agency did anything wrong. It's not as if they sold the child to someone who had a record of abuse -- they simply facilitated an adoption by a couple who appeared to be suitable parents. Can they be blamed for not knowing that this man was fatally absent-minded?