Tuesday, December 16, 2008

ANOTHER DMITRY YAKOLEV/CHASE HARRISON UPDATE: JUDGE REFUSES TO DISMISS CHARGES

Miles Harrison's motion to dismiss the charges against him was denied this morning.

From today's Washington Post:

But Fairfax Circuit Court Judge R. Terrence Ney noted this morning that Harrison had placed Chase in the vehicle and stopped at a dry cleaners on the way to work, and ruled that "the Commonwealth has met her burden of showing a prima facie case for involuntary manslaughter.

Baby Love Child has blogged on this aspect of the trial and commented on the WaPo article which expands the coverage from the initial article I posted last night. It also describes the defense's "strategy" to get Harrison off. Incredibly, Harrison has spent a bazillion dollars on upscale Peter Greenspun's defense argument that he's not guilty of neglect much less involuntary manslaughter, because none of his witnesses testified that Harrison knew the boy was in his SUV. Huh?

Rather than reinventing the wheel, I suggest you got over to BLC and read her comments and analysis, with which I agree.

Speaking of comments, a really offensive comment ( I hate that term, but I don't know what other way to describe it other than barmy) was posted this afternoon in the Post:

rpcv84 wrote:

I propose letting Harrison adopt again and seeing if his behavior becomes a pattern.


12/16/2008 2:26:12 PM


Outside of this being a facetious comment, which I doubt, I can only conclude that adoptees, especially from other countries, are expendable lab rats to be used in testing the competence of paps and adopters. If they don't continue to kill their kids, then they're free to keep them and adopt a few more.

I like to think nothing surprises me any more. Then rpcv comes along.

The Russian press has begun to report on the Harrison trial. I've had ,several hits from the Russian media and this article appeared in the Russian language Gazetta.

No updates from later in the day have have come across my screen yet. When they do, I'll post them.

ADDENDA: 11/16/2008 11:18: Here is a link to a WTTG-TV news video on today's court proceedings.

According to Carol Harrison's testimony the couple spent $70-$80,000 to adopt Dmitry! No mention in the news of what this all covered, but I'm flumoxed! $70-80,000? Did this all go to European Adoption Consultants?

No comments: