Tuesday, August 19, 2008

AUGUST 19,1991

This has nothing to with adoption.

Today is the 17th anniversary of the collapse of the Soviet Union--the failed coup.

I began visiting the Soviet Union in 1988. I returned in 1989, and twice in 1990. In 1991 I had my first extended visit. That year I lived at Plekhanova, the international student hostel at the Herzen Institute. located just off Nevsky behind Kazansky Sabor Ostensibly, I was there to study Russian. Within less than 24 hours of my arrival my good intentions were out the window. My time was taken up with shopping, sitting in the bar, clubbing, riding the metro, partying all night, ...and as it turned out, overthrowing the government. Sort of.

Below are some pictures from Leningrad/St. Petersburg, August 19-23, 1991.
















1 comment:

Adelaide Dupont said...

Dear Marley:

I found your photos poignant. And the world history is so important, especially in influencing decisions of those not old enough to remember the Soviet Union, and what it was like.